Kāpiti Performing Arts Centre
A venue for the Kapiti community to entertain and be entertained.
The Kāpiti Performing Arts Centre is the most significant new public building project for the Kāpiti Coast and surrounding areas in years. The venue will be a place to showcase the arts Kapiti is renowned for. Because it will be a community venue, there will be a large variety of performing arts. So whether you’re interested in drama, jazz, dance, orchestra, choir, contemporary rock there will be something for everyone. It will be a leading edge educational space as well as a hub for community arts. Here we can perform, share knowledge, grow innovative future leaders and continue to strengthen a safe, healthy and thriving community. The only state‐of‐the‐art community facility between Wellington and Palmerston North will befor the use and enjoyment of young and older residents, permanent and holiday homers now and in the future.
A $5 million fit-for-purpose performing arts centre was originally planned for Kāpiti College, but after strong support from the performing arts groups, a $10 million building design was developed to reflect the needs of the wider community. The venue includes
- Coastlands Theatre: an approximately 330 seat theatre with a 17m x 9m stage and quality acoustics
- Black box theatre for drama performance (with sprung floor)
- Foyer with ticket office, café and toilets
- Spaces/classrooms for music, dance and drama teaching
- Small spaces for rehearsal & recording, and office space
- Support spaces (green room, dressing rooms)
- Storage areas